UM3D Lab Fall Open House
12:00pm to 6:00pm
Curious about new technologies, or have a project in mind but not sure where to start? The UM3D Lab Fall Open House will feature demonstrations of Virtual Reality, Rapid Prototyping, Motion Capture, 3D Capturing, Mobile Development, Animations, and more. In addition to various technology, projects, and expertise, this semester we’re excited to display some new technologies.
Commercial Release of the Oculus Rift
Try out the acclaimed headset and see what low-cost Virtual Reality can do.
- If you’ve seen the development versions of Oculus, the commercial version takes it a step further. Ever wanted to explore a futuristic city in VR? Go back to the dinosaur age? Now you can, and in incredible detail.
- Also demos from the University of Michigan: Navigate through a 3D protein model or explore the ancient villa of Oplontis near Pompeii-an archaeological site off limits to tourists.
PrintrBot & Form2 3D Printers
Ever want to print something in 3D? Come see the new Printrbot or Form 2 printers.
- The Form2 is an SLA desktop 3D printer and claims to be the “Most advanced desktop 3D printer ever created”, with a larger build volume and higher resolution than most desktop 3D printers.
- The Printrbot printers print in PLA & ABS plastic and make for affordable, reliable, hobbyist machines.
- High-end Dimension Elites and Projet 3D printers also available.
A new, unreleased augmented reality head-mounted device.
- View brain activation in real-time on a 3D brain model overlaid atop a live subject.
- Play augmented reality games and simulations-These analyze your real world environment, allowing 3D content to be mapped to your floors, walls and ceiling.
Virtual Reality MIDEN
Come experience the MIDEN, our 10×10′ immersive, stereoscopic, virtual reality space.
- Image stacks from CT or MRI data can be imported to create volumetric models that can be sliced through in real-time stereoscopic 3D.
- The MIDEN allows users to create life-like & stylized interactive simulations or environments powered by the Unreal game engine and our in-house rendering system, Jugular. From testing real-world scenarios like Jetski driving in controlled conditions to creating artistic interpretations of the universe, the possibilities of VR in the MIDEN are endless.
Live Motion Capture
Record and apply motion data using our high-end Vicon System or low-cost Kinect and Leap Motion.
- Record motion data from humans, robots or objects-Program robots to dig holes or pick up household items or analyze the movement of a dancer for muscle strain or poor posture.
- Create realistic movement for virtual characters-The 3D Lab’s Vicon motion capture setup is the same setup used for Hollywood productions like Avatar or Planet of the Apes.
Quick and easy ways to capture existing 3D objects, big or small.
- Try the NextEngine or the Handyscan laser scanners-Suitable for high fidelity, accurate 3D scanning.
- We also offer photogrammetry-A process that uses digital photographs to construct 3D models with high resolution color. From capturing models of people to archiving ancient artifacts on the web, we offer a rotating rig that makes documenting difficult subjects and expansive collections, quick and reliable.